Unable to locate help compiler?

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:17 AM
Hi
I'm trying to document a production environment that consists of a single box BizTalk Server 2006 R2 installation and SQL Server 2005 and nothing else... (i.e. no Visual Studio 2005 installation) but the Documenter can not generate the documentation, a stop error dialog box is shown with title "Error Generating Documenation" and message "Unable to locate help compiler executable".
Any suggestions to overcome this?
Running the Documenter on the development box works as a charm but Installing Visual Studio on the production server is not an option.
regards
/Henrik Sandqvist
Nov 29, 2007 at 2:28 PM
Problem solved, download and install the Html Help Workshop in order to get the help compiler to work
(and check your ports for any enabled property tracking settings since this will cause xml generation to fail)

Html Help Workshop can be downloaded from Microsoft from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&DisplayLang=en

Over and out
/Henrik
Jul 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM
Henrik -

I am also having the XML generation failure - what do you mean by checking ports for enabled property tracking settings?
Apr 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I was also facing the same issue and when installed the Html Help Workshop it will still generated the message "Unable to locatie help compiler executable".

My resolution for this problem was to make sure that the element "HelpCompilerLocation" in the configuration file "BizTalkDocumenter.exe.config" (this file can be found where you have installed the BizTalk 2006 Documenter) defined the correct location where HTML Help Workshop is installed.

<add key="HelpCompilerLocation" value="C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\hhc.exe" />

The default installation on my Windows 2008 Server DataCenter for the HTML Help Workshop was not "C:\Program Files\\HTML Help Workshop" but "C:\Program Files (x86)\\HTML Help Workshop"

So I have changed this to:

<add key="HelpCompilerLocation" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\hhc.exe" />

After this my problem was solved.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM
mabarto1980 wrote:

The default installation on my Windows 2008 Server DataCenter for the HTML Help Workshop was not "C:\Program Files\\HTML Help Workshop" but "C:\Program Files (x86)\\HTML Help Workshop"

This is default installation folder for HTML Help Worksshop on any x64 Win OS 

rgds