Orchestration Documentation

May 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Running the BizTalk documenter against my project doesn’t produce the orchestration documentation I was hoping for. After downloading/fiddling with the documenter source and references (per various googled trouble reports) I’m no farther. The format of the orchestration documentation produced for the standard Microsoft BizTalk applications looks fine. My app doesn’t produce the same layout.

The BizTalk EDI Application documents out with the following structure:

BizTalk EDI Application
       Orchestrations
             Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchingOrchestration
                   ? Process Overview
                   ? Correlation Set Types
                   ? Code Elements

My application documents with the following structure:

MyBizTalkApplication
       Orchestrations
                ? MyOrchestrationName

Is there something at build time that needs to be set to enable “export” of this information? Some app setting?

Thanks for any tip! 

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM

...is there anybody out there...?

For anyone experiencing the same problem, here's the solution:

1) The orchestration's 'Type Modifier' property has to be set to "Public" in the orchestration properties. (In the solution explorer, double-click the orchestration to open it, switch to Orchestration View and change the setting in the resultant properties).

2) The documenter takes the information to create the orchestration diagrams from the assemblies IN THE LOCAL GAC. If you run the documenter, say, on your local workstation, attaching to a remote BizTalk server - the orchestration assemblies need to be installed in YOUR local GAC for the documenter to get the information. Needless to say, this makes this feature a little less useful - if the server orchestration assemblies change and you haven't updated yours, your diagrams will be out of date.

The solution: run the documenter directly on the BizTalk server system.