Compiling with BizTalk 2009

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Tried to compile with VisualStudio 2008, Win2003 Server and BizTalk 2009.

Reference to Microsoft.BizTalk.SnapIn.Framework.dll (Version 3.8.368.0, Date 07.03.2009  12:57)

Got the compiler errors:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'NodeFactory' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\ExtensionNodeFactory.cs 9 34 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 2 The type or namespace name 'ScopeNode' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\DocNode.cs 11 30 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 3 The type or namespace name 'ComponentData' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\ExtensionNodeFactory.cs 11 37 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 4 The type or namespace name 'NodeDefinition' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\DocNode.cs 13 24 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 5 The type or namespace name 'ComponentData' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\MyExtensionComponentData.cs 19 45 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 6 The type or namespace name 'FormView' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\DocResultView.cs 21 42 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 7 The type or namespace name 'NodeFactory' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\MyExtensionComponentData.cs 25 25 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 8 The type or namespace name 'NodeFactory' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\MyExtensionComponentData.cs 34 25 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 9 The type or namespace name 'ScopeNode' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.BizTalk.SnapIn.Framework' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\DocResultView.cs 43 76 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 10 The type or namespace name 'ScopeNode' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\MyExtensionComponentData.cs 48 25 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn
Error 11 The type or namespace name 'ComponentData' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\work\biztalkdocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter\Microsoft.Sdc.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn\DocNode.cs 58 24 Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.SnapIn

Developer
Dec 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Hi,

I havent actually tried compiling this on a BizTalk2009 box but i think this is because the 2009 version uses MMC3,x and the associated API has changed. The version of Microsoft.BizTalk.SnapIn.Framework.dll we have compiled against is 3.6.1404.0.

Couple of questions

(1) Are you able to use just the binaries against your BizTalk repository?

(2) do you make use of the snapIn part of the code (if not you could exclude it from the compilation as the WinForms UI should work )

Also, If you need to use the source and if you have access to a 2006/R2  box you could copy out the Microsoft.BizTalk.SnapIn.Framework.dll to a local "lib" folder and point the references there and try compiling it.

I will add this to a work item and see how we can upgrade it . We are considering a brand new combined UI for documenter and profiler in the next release and this snap in may not be retained unless there is a big demand for the same because if the API has indeed changed a lot (in the MMC area) then it would be very hard to maintain backwards compatibility.

Do Let me know about the questions below or the alternative compilation option and also if you want us to retain the snapin.

Thanks

Benjy

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Hi Benjy,

thank you for the quick response.

(1) I get a runtime exception:

System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled

Message: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.Form1' threw an exception.

(2) when I exclude the snapIn project from the solution it is possible to compile.

Runing the executable results also in an exception: {"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Services.Tools.BizTalkOM, Version=3.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=81714cb6f164f90f' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."}

I have then included the project: "Microsoft.Services.Tools.BizTalkOM" into the solution. ==> same result!

Many thanks,

Hartmuth

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Hi,

I had the same problem with compiling and running the documenter (server 2008 64 bit with biztalk 2009). I solved it by removing the Snapin and setting the output platform CPU to x86 instead of any. 

Also i changed the target dotnet to 3.5 and changed the html helper directory to the x86 program files.

Greetings,

Treflor

Developer
Jan 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Hi Treflor,

Thanks for providing this feedback. We will be removing the snapin from the next release as the MMC core has changed a lot and we dont have the bandwidth to maintain this UI .

I will put a note on the home page with your points about the settings.

Regards,

Benjy